the beginning of the 1500 the village of New Vignale, built mostly
In the last years of 1800 the name of the Franceschi disappears and its properties are divided between two families, the genovese one of Count Figoli de Geneys that acquires a part of that fortune; the other was inherited by the Pisan family of the Counts Giuli Rosselmini.
This region is famous for naturalistic zones like the Coastal Park of the Sterpaia, the Natural Park of Montioni and the Reservoir Natural Wwf Bottagone Gardens.
village of Riotorto lies on the slopes of greens hills, between the
forest of Montioni and the sea; in 1840 it counted only 212
Its growth until to the current 2300 residents is connected with the development of the mezzadrile system, with the improvements in the quality of the soils, and, later, from the land reform to reduce the presence of great agricultural estates.
Today the only precious
testimonies of the
The ancient denomination of Vignale has been used through the years for various places, like the ones that today are named "Castle", the "Old and New Vignale", and current "Small Farm". The first place that has this name is the medieval Castle.
Until XIV century it was the capital of a territory extended to the Pieve di San Giovanni and San Vito, the Church of Sant' Andrea a Valli, and the Contrada of Follonica.
Destroyed towards the 1360, the ruins of this site are partially covered by vegetation. It is still possible to recognise the town-walls, the tracing of the defensive ditch and the ruins of the church of Saint Giovanni.